I've stopped working on the Brunswick for a while, and moved on to something much more girlie ;)
Our reenacting friends came round at the weekend and told us about a Burns Night party that the Charles Edward Stuart Society are holding on Saturday, and did we want to go if there were any tickets left? Of course we did! and also of course, it meant I'd need a new frock ;) Unfortunately Rob told me today that there aren't any tickets left :( but so I figure, why not carry on with it and see if I can get it done by Saturday anyway :D
I had a hunt through the stash, unfortunately I don't have many dress lengths of fancy fabric, but there was a short length of pale pink taffeta, and I think I have just enough to make a 1770s en fourreau round gown. I should be ok as long as re-cutting my fronts doesn't take too much fabric! I foolishly rushed into it without doing a proper mockup and the first version was a disaster! It was only pinned together though, I hadn't yet sewn down the en fourreau pleats, so I was able to re-do the pleats to fit the new back without having horrid visible stitch marks!
I'm planning to trim it very simply, with either white silk gauze box-pleats or puffs of some very pretty white silk 'smooth chiffon' I found in town yesterday. The trimming will just go round the neck and a double row around the cuffs, more of a posh day dress than an evening gown, and it should be perfect for Williamsburg :)